Thursday, May 2, 2013

Story of my Life (Day 2)

You'd be surprised to learn that I know quite a bit about sign language.
And of course to my advantage I'm behind this computer so I can't show you, without doing some sort of video which I'm not smart enough to try.

 
By quite a bit, I mean I'm fluent enough to carry on lengthy conversations and I used to interpret my friends classes if her REAL interpreter were to be gone for the day. I mostly use English sign language, which means I sign most words we speak but I also know ASL (American sign language) which is more of an interpretation of words and can get very confusing if you don't use it every day.
It all started when I was 5, my mom got wind I would have a deaf girl in my class and wanted me to be able to communicate with her so she wouldn't feel left out.
My mom got a book, studied the best she could and taught me. I went into kindergarten knowing the alphabet only. My mother probably has no idea the impact she had on our lives by just taking time to teach me those 26 signs. What a blessing she is!
As time went on, my new friend taught me lots of new signs.
Unfortunately, she left our small school for most of elementary to be educated in a school with lots of other deaf or hard of hearing students. She came back in 6th grade and taught me even more. We became the very best of friends and I loved learning and being part of her world and enjoyed showing her things about our hearing world.  
I took two years of Deaf Education in College. Anyone else fluent in another language?
How cool is it to learn?
 
Blessings!


3 comments:

  1. I found your site through Follow Friend Friday.
    Knowing sign language is so cool! How inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, Thanks for stopping by. Can't wait to check out your blog.
    Sign language truly is a beautiful way to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moms definitely know best. If it weren't for her interest to teach you sign language, you wouldn't have become friend with your best friend. It's heartwarming to read stories of friendship like this, and how both of you share each other's world that many have thought is different.
    Lynelle Mcbee @ ClipInterpreting.com

    ReplyDelete

Oklahoma Women Bloggers
Read more at http://www.oklahomawomenbloggers.com/#3u4ZZvhMrvAVvIh4.99
 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K