Monday, October 29, 2012

Our normal

Happy Monday ladies! 

I've been scarce the last few days because my oldest son got hurt at school on Friday morning.
He fell on the concrete and hit his front teeth. Graceful like his mother I assume.
Luckily only one was knocked loose, but hasn't came out. His dentist said there's not much to do anyway considering it's still a baby tooth. 
As eventful as my weekend was I wanted to share with you a Halloween picture of my youngest. (I have none of the oldest because he refused pictures with his friends around, plus he was running to each house.) 
These are also Iphone photos, be aware! lol 
The first one is of my little country boys together, not fighting for one minute. :) 
Don't worry, it resumed shortly after.






To get back to the topic I've been thinking of for a few weeks...
Why do we idolize being busy? Obviously by my blogger name, I'm busy as well.
But we have competitions on who is busiest. 
Let's sign up for everything imaginable and wonder why we feel overwhelmed.
We have class trips, class parents, church classes, bible studies, tball games + practices, snacks, dinners with family, cook out with friends, remodeling the house, homemade costumes, couponing, juicing, photography, blogging, and somewhere in there we fit in housework, cooking, and looking half way presentable. Some of us even try to work out!
Are we not setting ourselves up for failure? Every day something is not getting done, you can't be your best at a few things because we are constantly okay with being mediocre at 50 other things. 
We are mediocre employees, moms, wives, church members, grandchildren, sisters, etc.
My goal is to pick a few things, do my best, and be the best at them. I can't do it all anymore, and I'm not even doing a decent job at trying. 
My Halloween treats for my boys' parties are not done yet, and I'm sure I won't start until 10 pm Tuesday night. My house IS clean, but I missed church. 
I also have a trunk that needs decorating before Wednesday and it's not even cleaned out. 
Groceries need bought, but my kids' clothes ARE ironed. 
Am I talking to myself here, or do any of you feel this way too?
My husband and I have not had a date night in months. When you stretch yourself too thin, you can't spend extra time or attention on yourself or on those you love. 

As a reminder, the Bible talks about the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31. 
Girls, she does a lot.. and it is all about her family. But I can bet that God wants us to know about this woman and what she does well. 
Let's not minimize our family or values to be "busy". 
Slow down and smell the roses, it's so so worth it. 

Have a perfect night with your family. If you don't have a family yet, spend it with someone who just needs someone to talk to. 
No ones life is perfect, we can all stop pretending. Let's get real. When was the last time you spoke to a lady who you just asked how their day was and they were real, they said "girl I'm just exhausted and I feel chubby today!". How would you react? 
You don't have to know someones life story to know not everything is sweet as peaches. 
We don't have to complain, but we also don't have to give facades to make each other feel less adequate. (Even if it's unintentional.)
I'll be the first to admit today that I don't have it together. I don't eat much meat (just because I don't like it). I prefer mostly organic produce and products. My husband is a hunter, like hardcore, Duck Dynasty kind of hunting. 
He isn't just the guy that goes out during rifle season to get any 'ol deer that walks up...
I'm talking about his year is carefully calculated, feed plots planted, cameras out, stands up, obsession starts in July kind of hunter. Are we opposites? Absolutely 100%.
Our life isn't perfect, but it's OURS. 
My kids are adorable to me, but they fight all the time. That is not perfect, ya'll. 
Just be you, and do it so well that you no longer care to keep yourself busy with the other stuff.

I've ranted long enough and no one even read all this. 

God Bless you ladies. 
Kayla


2 comments:

  1. hee,hee! I read this post!
    I def admit to being this way on a daily bases!
    My husband and I were just talking about this.
    What is it that drives me to fill up my days and then yes, like you said, be only mediocre at each task. We compared it to a computer...so many windows open at each time; therefore, operating at a lower rate that optimal.
    Your words "why do we idolize being busy" caught my attention. Really the word idolize. I like to be busy. But do I idolize it? not sure. but you've got me thinking about it.
    P.S. glad your sons doing better since the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say WE idolize, but society maybe? It's just a trend more or less. Just seems like people are satisfied by saying "oh I'm so busy" or we can't make it to your important thing because we are "so busy". We just live in a non stop culture. I know it personally. I'm the same way. Trying to fit too much in and never saying no.
    The windows thing makes a lot of sense!
    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Oklahoma Women Bloggers
Read more at http://www.oklahomawomenbloggers.com/#3u4ZZvhMrvAVvIh4.99
 

SITE DESIGN BY FABULOUS K